Fellow Democrats Invited to April 26th Meeting.
The Progressive Caucus of the New York State Democratic Committee invites you to an organizing and policy meeting that we will be holding on Sunday, April 26th from 12:00 to 2:00 pm at 22 East 18th Street, Apt 4E in Manhattan between Broadway and Fifth Avenue.
Bill Samuels of EffectiveNY has generously offered to host us in his beautiful home and will be providing us with lunch. We are very appreciative of Bill’s generosity and interest in the Progressive Caucus.
The primary purpose of the April 26th meeting is to organize our Caucus in advance of the upcoming May State Committee meeting. The topics that we will be discussing will include Progressive Pension Reform, the upcoming Rent Regulation battle in Albany, and Fusion Voting.
The Met Council on Housing will be presenting to us on behalf of the Real Rent Reform Coalition (R3). R3 is a coalition of over 50 community organizations and unions fighting to renew and strengthen the rent laws when they expire this June. In addition, EffectiveNY will be discussing with us their vision on how to enact progressive pension reform.
For those State Committee Members who are new or unfamiliar with the NY Progressive Caucus, our past work has included:
- Being a leading advocate in the successful effort to ban fracking in New York
- Being the first to demand that disgraced former State Assemblymember Vito Lopez resign from the State Committee in the wake of his serial sexual abuse of staffers
- Championing the passage of the 10 point Women’s Equality Act in both the Assembly and Senate
- Calling upon the so-called Independent Democratic Caucus (IDC) of the New York State Senate to rejoin the Senate Democrats
- Advocating for an end of the pay-to-play Independence Party through a Democratic party-wide policy that would prohibit Democratic candidates from accepting the Independent Party’s endorsement, thereby ensuring its ultimate removal from a state-wide ballot line
- Supporting the successful election of our own Caucus Secretary and leading disability rights advocate Jo Anne Simon to the New York Assembly
All are welcome at NY Progressive Caucus meetings and we look forward to seeing many of our fellow State Committee Members on April 26th from 12:00 – 2:00 pm.
Please RSVP HERE if you plan on joining us so that we will have enough food and drink for everyone!
Rachel Lavine, Chair – 66th A.D.
Elisa Sumner, Vice Chair – Dutchess County Democratic Committee Chairwoman
Dan Cohen, Treasurer – 69th A.D.